Do you have dreams? Are you ambitious?
Would you like input in running a practice and perhaps taking it over in a few years?
Do you yearn for a certain quality of life in an area that isn't overcrowded, where you can be part of a community and where you can have a quick dip in the sea after work?
Our practice is in an area where you can go surfing, sailing or bird watching or walk the 186 mile long coast path (named by Lonely Planet as "one of the best long distance trails in the world!"), but we also have a theatre just around the corner from us if you want some culture.
Life and revaluation of it during lock-down have led to us having positions for veterinary surgeons available.
If we may say so ourselves: Our practice is beautiful - light flooded, spacious and in a grade II listed building that is part of Milford Haven's history on the outside and modern on the inside!
When the weather is good, you can watch the ships in the harbour while you have lunch at our picnic table!
We are independent and still relatively young (est. 2009). We are still growing, but we also believe in letting people grow and develop their passion.
Our aim is to improve lives - for our patients, our clients and our team members!
Beside the usual mix of dogs, cat and small mammals, we also have a variety of exotic and wildlife cases, we are providing free work to one of the local bird rescues.
We do run our own OOH service - we want to be there when "our" pets need us most, rather than shipping them off a long way down the road! (Having said that, , we do not get a lot of out of hours calls usually. The last time we counted, it still stood at roughly 1 call-out per week per vet, i.e. averaging 4 call-outs per week. And there is always also a nurse on call, who also looks after the in-patients.)
We are patient, calm and gentle with our patients. We give them time - we don't practice conveyor belt medicine. We might just play ball with an anxious dog in the waiting room on several occasions to give him time to settle down. We have plenty of treats to persuade them that this is a good place to come! The waiting room is large enough that pets can keep their distance and our dog and cat wards have dimmable lights. (We practiced "Fear Free" before it even became a "thing".)
We treat our clients with compassion and empathy. We practice good quality medicine to find the best way to help their pets. Our health plan is called Family Plan for a good reason, we want our clients and their pets to feel like members of our extended family who enjoy coming to see us as much as we enjoy seeing them!
We are hot on personal development of our team members! We encourage and support areas of special development. They have been to CPD in Hong Kong, Austria, Sweden and Florida; to BVNA, BVA, London Vet Show or partied at Vet Fest with a generous CPD allowance fo £2K per year for vets. We have also held in-house CPD with external speakers under our Coast & CPD banner. Right now, all of this is on hold because of Covid, but our aim is to get back to this, because we love the enthusiasm that these events create and which help us to mprove and expand the services that we offer. We are not for standing still!
If you are passionate about something that would also be of benefit to our patients and the practice, we happily back your progression in this area!
Oh, and we are a nurse training practice!
We like innovation and we were "first" in several things in our area:
- to have digital x-rays
- to offer laser therapy
- to have dental x-rays
- to offer laparoscopic spays
- to offer a dedicated house visiting service (on hold right now to keep our team safe)
- to offer a health plan that offers free consultations
Together, we have developed our core values: Growth, Pride, Respect, Courage, Loyalty and Openness.These are important to us and it is what we are trying to apply to everything we do and to everybody we are dealing with. We are not perfect, but they are our base line to come back to when at times we may stray off them!
At full strength, we have a team of 4 vets, 8 nurses (5 qualified and 3 soon to be) and 5 reception / admin / HR staff.
Our nurses all have their own areas of interest. They admit and discharge routine patients, do post-op checks and (usually) run puppy parties, nutrition and diabetes clinics, deliver laser treatments, take dental and general x-rays and advise our clients and generally make life easier for the vets!
All team members are getting very versed with PetsApp - we are using it for anything from virtual consults, or consults with the owner in the car and the animal on the consult table, to updates about in-patients, orders for food and medication or payments.
Our equipment and facilities:
- Separate dog, cat and exotics wards
- In-house lab: the lovely, easy to use, quiet Scil biochem machine and haematology
- Spacious theatre suite
- Nomad & CR7 digital dental x-ray system
- Agfa CR30 x-ray and Buckey table
- Laparoscopy kit
- Mindray ultrasound machine with colour doppler, linear, vector and cardiac probes
- our very popular and successful K-laser
- an awesome visiting physiotherapist
- Humphrey ADE circuits on all anaesthetic machines - keeping things simple!
- a decent size staff room
In the past, we have held in-house pilates and mindfulness courses in our waiting room, which has also been the background for a harmony singing class and great murder mystery parties at Christmas (see photo)!
What we are looking for - is this you?
- You are a team player who's values are in sync with ours.
- You enjoy practicing high quality veterinary medicine, but you are also willing to do your
best for the client who can't afford "gold standard"
- You have several years of experience and can and are happy to train less experienced team
- You are able to perform all the common operations - ideally you have an interest in,
and are happy to take on more advanced surgeries and develop this further
- You love to learn and improve and want to help the practice forward and expand the
services we are able to offer
- You enjoy people as much as you enjoy pets and are able to communicate well with clients
and team members
- You act in a professional manner and can stay calm even in challenging situations (because
life is never without those) and you can leave your ego at the door
- Your enjoy taking part in decision making and are happy to lead a team
- You prefer rural life and fresh sea air to urban hussle and bustle! (Much better during lock-
What we can offer you:
- A4 day week plus one weekend on call every 4 week (an average of 37.5 hrs + on-call)
- An impressive yearly CPD allowance of £2000 to help you grow
- Benenden Healthcare membership and Peninsula's Health Assist to look after both your
physical and your mental health
- 6 weeks holidays (incl. bank holidays)
- A salary depending on experience in the range of £35 - 45K
- A structured induction, so that you have time to adapt to your new job. You will start with a
reduced diary, so that you don't have to rush and have time to find your feet.
- Periods during the day to catch up, make phone calls, grab a cuppa, look things up!
We do get the crazy periods when unexpected cases come in, but double booked
appointments are not the norm!
- We don't have "assistants" - just capable vets, who are encouraged to build up their own
- The rare chance for the right candidate(s) to take over an independent practice in a
few years time if so wished
About the area:
Pembrokeshire is a dream for anybody who enjoys watersports and outdoor pursuits and very family friendly.
It has a breath-takingly beautiful coastline with 99 beaches, several of them award-winning -
anything from mile-long sandy stretches to coves with red and green pebbles!
Or you might want to explore one of our multiple historic sites which in the summer host outdoor theatre or concerts.
Have a look at www.visitpembrokeshire.co.uk to find out more!
The practice overlooks the Milford Haven harbour (the second deepest natural harbour in the world) with the shops and cafes of the marina only a short stroll away.
Send us your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a ring on 01646 663 883 for an informal chat first!
Our new website is still under construction - further delayed by this thing called covid!
While this site is well out of date, it will at least give you a flavour what our practice is about.